Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Time travel

There are lots of things about working at this hospital that make me feel like I'm stepping back in time.  The female nurses still wear dresses and the students' uniforms come complete with aprons and caps.  I think some of the machines we use have been here since the hospital was built in the 1960's.  Some of the things we do/use we do because our resources are tight and it just makes sense. 

When I worked in America the hospitals I worked at generally had shelves and shelves allotted for dressing materials.   Many of the nurses will recognize the terms "Kerlix" "Ace wrap" "2x2's, 4x4's", etc.  When I arrived here I used a rolled bandage for the first time in my life.  I'd read about them before in novels set....well, a while ago. But until I went to do my first dressing change, had never used any.  They are awesome!!!

These lovely ladies whom I have never even met spent I don't know how many hours rolling bandages for our hospital.  The final count was 642.  Thanks ladies!!!  It's such an encouragement to have the extra supplies, but also to know that people thousands of miles away

In a country where money for antibiotics is scarce and there are lots of things to cause infection.....this will be put to great use!!  Thank you so so much!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment