Monday, December 31, 2018

Happy New Year!

We have had a really, really busy last several months.  When I looked at our calendar, I decided that we were going to need a little getaway after Christmas. What better time than the strange week between Christmas and New Years, when I'm never sure if I should still be in vacation mode or "let's get the New Year off right" mode? Thanks to the generosity of several people back home, we were able to go to a hotel with a POOL for several nights.  We skipped going to Freetown and went to a smaller town where the hotel was cheaper, but the pool was just as nice. :)

As I was packing for our little adventure, I realized that I pack a little differently here than I would if we were going to a hotel in the States. Allow me to elaborate.


Make sure to bring an extension cord! Most hotel rooms have an outlet that's available to use, but it's BYO power strip if you want to be able to plug in more than one thing (or anything with a US plug). 

It's also BYO movie/entertainment.  A lot of the hotels have TV's in them, but as in the case this time, it will only have one channel. If you happen to get a few more channels, they are usually Nigerian soap operas or the government news channel.  Both are obviously....thrilling. But if you want a movie night....best to bring your own movies.


We are now a family of six.  One of the awesome things about Sierra Leone is that they don't really care how many people you want to cram into a hotel room. So we don't have to spring for a suite, we just bring our own bedding!  That includes 2 pack n' plays (not pictured), two sleeping mats, extra pillows and  extra towels! The hotels provide one, maybe two if you ask them for another one, but several days of six people using two towels.....doesn't quite cut it.  If we're going somewhere with AC, bring your own blankets!! (At least for my African family).  Nothing is worse than having to TURN OFF THE AC because the rest of the family is too cold.  Ugh.  No way man.



Hence the reason I also pack clothes for my kids as if they're going to play in the snow.  Long pants, sweatshirts, socks.  Anything to keep them comfy so the AC can stay on for this Mama! (Thanks Auntie Elisabeth for the new sweatshirts!!) Keep in mind, it probably never got below 75 degrees. My family is crazy. 



We didn't end up getting to the hotel until about 8pm but that didn't stop us from going for a swim.  Us.  I mean the kids. I joke about my kids being cold all the time but I think Sierra Leone is starting to rub off on me because there was no way I was getting in that water.  Brrrrrr.


Our good friend and co-worker came down with us for a couple days and it was a special treat to get to spend some time with her. After she left I heard almost hourly, "I miss Alice. I wish she would come back to play with us."  She is one of their favorites!


Alice and I went shopping in the "junks" part of town (the used clothing) and I found a dress for Marie. She wanted a photo shoot with her sis. :) These girls.....so precious.





I noticed on this trip that my Sierra Leonean is definitely picking up the tricks of the trade here. Almost everything we asked him to carry went straight onto his head.



Haddie didn't love the water, but hung around for the snacks. Lots of snacks. 




We had a great time on our little vacation.  Although traveling with three kids three and under probably isn't the most relaxing thing we've done, the struggle of lack of naps/sleep for everyone is already beginning to fade and I'm happy that we got to make some good memories with our kiddos.  I'm feeling refreshed and ready to start 2019 off with a bang!  And laundry. Lots of laundry tomorrow. :)

3 comments:

  1. Hi Emily, I would love to get in contact with you! I met your father today and am starting to think that your ministry and open position as a home manager could potentially be for me?? I’m not sure how much detail to put here but the puzzle pieces are falling together. It could be a whole different picture but at least the ball is rolling :) what’s the best way to reach you? Hope to hear from you soon and you’re in our hearts here in Oregon ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Emily,
    I have been following your blog since 2015. Before I made the big leap and moved to Sierra Leone in 2016. Like you I travel back and forth from the USA. I will be back in Salone in April. I would love to meet you and see Grace Village. I live in Makeni, but spend time in Freetown too. I hope to hear from you soon. Hope to hear from you soon.

    ReplyDelete